Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Throwback

Back then, I used to believe in Santa. Well, literally. It has been a conspiracy between my parents and sister or cousins back when I was a kid where I always received presents at an unexpected area at home or just under the tree, with "Santa's note" on it. Those train sets, chocolates and other goodies, even coins and some money in my stocking - these were only a few of the many gifts I received from "Santa" back then.

But as I grew up and became aware of this little conspiracy, things have changed and I can only hope that illusion could have stayed with me for a little longer.

If only Santa were real. Christmas has never been the same. The anticipation, thrill and excitement of checking my stocking every morning to see if there's something in it, and the waiting. Ah, memories.

Now, I get the point why adults before used to say that Christmas is for kids. The joy in giving presents to the kids is indescribable, especially when you see that big smile and glowing eyes of bliss. At times, I would wish for my childhood to be back, but it is with this maturity that I've treasured having a great childhood, which will definitely be passed on to my future children. :)

As we grow older, Christmas does not dwell on the material side anymore. True, it still brings smiles and warmth inside when we receive gifts from others; but there are even better gifts than those goodies. Time, peace, and joy brought by the presence and conversations with our loved ones, and most of all, spreading love to the people who matter. As the priests always say in their homilies, "It is in giving that we receive much more."

'Tis the season to be selfless, and to remember that the reason for this season is a Child who will be born to be selfless for us all. Santa may not be literally real but his image is a symbol of being selfless, sharing and giving to others. 

May we always have our inner Santa spread the cheer and love not only during the holidays but throughout the year. Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to you and your family! ❤

No comments: