Friday, December 29, 2006

Tis the Season of Gladness

Father Horacio de la Costa once said it so eloquently, that "Christmas is when we celebrate the unexpected; it is the festival of surprise," when "down is up and up is down", when suddenly, "in the very heart of earth, is heaven," and "the stars and the angels look down on the God who made them and God looks up at the things He made."


This is part of a very inspiring homily that I overheard last Dec. 22 at the Simbang Gabi held at the Gesu made by Fr. Magadia. Fortunately, this was made as an email and was sent to me. I've been wanting to have a copy of it ever since I last heard it and I felt the need to share it even though Christmas is almost over.

But is it really over?

As what Father H. de la Costa said, whenever we celebrate something surprising or unexpected, we feel Christmas in the air. It's appropriate especially for me that during these times of the holidays, I've been expecting something and until now, that "something" hasn't arrived JUST YET.

This has been the cause of my worries, the reason for my sadness when I should be merry and excited that I'm spending this wonderful time of the year with my loved ones. Though I know that "something" hasn't arrived yet, I am sure that Jesus will surely have some surprise prepared for me for the coming year.

And when this new year comes, I'm hoping that all my wishes will be granted in the same way that my awaited "surprise" will eventually happen.

I'm expecting the unexpected. I should.

Happy holidays and have a good and prosperous year ahead of you.

No comments: